The LIFE FOODPRINT project which aimed to the development of an integrated strategy for reducing the carbon footprint in the food industry sector was concluded on April 2018. The project taking in account the modern current environmental challenges lead to the development of very significan results for the sector:
- A robust software tool that:
- enables the reliable determination & evaluation of the CF of food products considering direct and indirect activities (energy consumption, water and wastewater management, logistics),
- identify the Carbon hotspots contributing in raising the CF of products along the value chain to quantify the contribution of each activity to the overall CF of each product
- quantify the contribution of each activity to the overall CF of each product
- develop GHGs emissions mitigation programs for each of the participating food industries and their associated products by incorporating appropriate set of offsetting measures which will be give rise to opportunities for greater energy and resource efficiency, reduced waste & wastewater generation, streamlined logistics and other efficiencies.
- A national recommendation plan in regard to the reduction of GHG emissions from pastry and flour food industries in Greece and Italy and increasing these industries competiveness in the future.